A list of free or open source video production and publishing tools. Updates coloured orange:
- Tubecast - Batch uploading of Youtube videos. Download
- VSCD is Video Soft's free video editor. Quite descent. I have used it to create videos for my precious students.
- Adobe Flash Live Media Encoder (FLME) - Live media streaming to popular Content Distribution Networks (CDN) such as Ustream and Kingdom Stream. Download
- OBS - Open Broadcaster Software is a replacement for FMLE. It's rumoured to work better after you have figured out how to make it work. I don't like their brand icon though. It reminds me of a certain bad number.
- Deepburner (free edition) - Deepburner is used to creating and copying DVDs and CDs. Download
- Roxioburn - Comes with Windows 7. Used to burn DVDs/CDs and also copy them.
- LightWorks - Video editing. Download.
- DVDStyler - DVD designer. DVDs are old school now...
- Windows Movie Maker. A Windows movie creator. Download.
Oh dear, its obsolete.
- Flowplayer - Free streaming video player for the web
- HTML5 video -The <video> element in HTML5 excludes the need for video embedding tools such as FlashPlayer. Add the <audio> element also.
- Media Portal- Open source media centre
- Flumotion - Live streaming server for Linux (alas, no Windows binaries in sight...)
- Icecream Screen Recorder. Nice screen recorder. It produced mp4 videos!. Can record sound and video from your webcam. Can do picture-in-picture but free version limited to ten minutes of recording. But what would you want to say that takes more than 10 minutes? If you insist on >10min, kindly read "Letting go of words" by Janice (Ginny) Redish - quite a name for an author specializing in verbal scarcity.
- Wisdom ScreenHunter - How would life be without this little screen shot app. This blog would be visually impoverished were it not for this smart little app. It takes pictures of the screen. Version 7 can grab video too so is a true screen recorder though it seems to insert ads in your videos unless you pay $4. Stick with version 6 for the time being....
- Audacity is a very resilient free audio recording and editing tool that's been around for ages. I haven't seen a worthy competitor.